January 12, 2006

Homeless men beaten by teens w/ bats

On the Web site of my newspaper about an hour and a half ago this story appeared at the top, w/ video and pictures:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-112homelessbeating,0,3435973.story

It's a story about three homeless men who were beaten by young men w/ bats. One of them died at the hospital. What caught me even more from the brutality of it all was the fact we had video footage (and pics) of the beatings on the site too.

Of course I watched the video, like probably most ppl who will happen to look at the site today and see the story. After seeing the grainy security camera footage, I wondered, is this voyeurism? The police give us the footage so of course we're running it; i'm sure it's on TV too. Reminds me of ethics discussions we had in journalism school.
hmmmm, the Sun-Sentinel, which didn't run a story we had exclusively of a little girl w/ a facial tumor b/c the accompanying photo was too startling, but we post the video of this guy getting the crap beaten out of him. inconsistencies, inconsistencies.
I wonder how many times the video will be watched/emailed. i should be able to get #'s tomorrow.
it's interesting to see the power of the internet at work; the fact that we can access this stuff in the first place, that it's instant, and available from anywhere in the world.
well, back to work. The possibilities and implications of online media is something I'll be writing about more to be sure.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Well, violence and death are the news. It's not that surprising that the site would run it. If I lived in a cave and the only perspective I had on the world was through major news outlets, I'd probably never come out.